Now that we have officially moved into the new year, many homeowners are considering how to revamp their homes. Whether it’s a simple spruce up with a few statement pieces or an extensive design overhaul, it can be difficult to know where to begin. If you’ve been thinking about making some changes to your home in the coming year, look no further than an article the Huffington Post recently shared, which outlines their top trends for 2018, and provides a great starting point for making changes to your home’s interior.
Here are five of our favorites:
1. Artisan Fixtures: In recent years, more and more interior designers and homeowners have turned to artisan fixtures to provide a home with a unique sense of character. One of the most popular options is enlisting a local artist or small business to craft ambient lighting for a personal touch that can be added to any room. Find top artists and artisans on the Island here.
2. Natural Elements: While 2017 saw primarily tech-driven décor, 2018 will move into “fresh, natural materials such as stone, copper, concrete, and granite” to enliven spaces. Some of the additional trends outlined by Huffington Post incorporate the use of concrete or copper to accent a room, from fixtures and art pieces to furniture and wall coverings.
3. Rich Colors: Though designers have tended to lean toward muted color palettes in homes, this may be the year were bold colors will be the preference. As the article describes, rich hues can make “more muted furnishings and decorative décor pop,” which can breathe life into any room, from a living or dining room to a kitchen or master suite.
4. Agate Patterns: The past few years have seen a growing popularity for agate patterns in smaller accent pieces and décor, such as coasters and wind chimes. Now you can expect to see those patterns come to life in large art pieces and even wallpaper in 2018, with availability in larger department stores and retail chains such as Target.
5. Black & White: A classic and timeless color combination, and a trend that seems as though it could appear on every annual design list, black and white is sure to make its presence known in 2018. The two colors contrast with one another and “provide a sense of balance and boldness” in a home that will never go out of style.